Toby Jermain's Note:
This is good even if you don't normally like creamed spinach.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (10 ounce) bags fresh spinach or 4 bunches fresh spinach, stemmed,thoroughly rinsed to remove sand,spun dry,and torn into 1 inch pieces
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup tub-style light cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, lightly crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 2 -4 tablespoons toasted pine nuts or 2 -4 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2Spray a large Dutch oven with cooking spray and place over medium heat.
- 3Add onions and garlic and saute 3-4 minutes.
- 4Add spinach, cover, and cook 2 minutes or until spinach wilts.
- 5Add cream cheese, oregano, salt or seasoned salt, and pepper.
- 6Cook, uncovered, for an additional minute or until cream cheese melts, stirring to combine.
- 7Spoon spinach mixture into a 1 quart gratin dish or shallow casserole coated with cooking spray.
- 8Arrange tomato slices on top of spinach, and sprinkle with toasted nuts, breadcrumbs, and Parmesan cheese.
- 9Bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamed Spinach Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (201 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 137.6
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 15.8 mg
- Sodium 406.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 7.2 g