This has been my Mom's specialty for as long as I can remember. This is another recipe that people not from Mennonite background look at and just shake their heads! (Pudding from CEREAL!!??!!)However, to me, it remains a childhood memory and a traditional Mennonite dish that reminds me of my heritage. My mom always served this with strawberry or raspberry sauce.
- Beat egg whites until foamy.
- Add 2 tbsp sugar and continue beating until meringue stands in soft peaks and then set aside.
- Heat milk and salt to a full boil, slowly sprinkle in cream of wheat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens.
- Beat sugar and egg yolks and very slowly add to hot mixture.
- Continue cooking on low heat for 3 minutes longer.
- Lastly, fold hot mixture into meringue and add vanilla.
- Pour into serving dishes and cool.
- Serve with custard sauce or fruit sauce.