This has been my Mom's specialty for as long as I can remember. This is another recipe that people not from Mennonite background look at and just shake their heads! (Pudding from CEREAL!!??!!)However, to me, it remains a childhood memory and a traditional Mennonite dish that reminds me of my heritage. My mom always served this with strawberry or raspberry sauce.
- Beat egg whites until foamy.
- Add 2 tbsp sugar and continue beating until meringue stands in soft peaks and then set aside.
- Heat milk and salt to a full boil, slowly sprinkle in cream of wheat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens.
- Beat sugar and egg yolks and very slowly add to hot mixture.
- Continue cooking on low heat for 3 minutes longer.
- Lastly, fold hot mixture into meringue and add vanilla.
- Pour into serving dishes and cool.
- Serve with custard sauce or fruit sauce.
At last I found the German OMA" recipe for farina pudding Cannot wait to surprise my German-american husband with his childhood favorite pudding.
..and I have found that I like it with a little French Vanilla Coffee Creamer in it. It adds a wonderful creamy flavor that vanilla alone doesn't. It is a comforting dessert as one of the other reviewers has said.
Oh what a lovely dish this is. I wish I had known of it when I came home from surgery. It would have been SO comforting. It's a keeper. I am so very glad you shared it. I'm going to send to my 6 sisters - they will love it too.