Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is an easy cream of tomato soup. It's best with fresh tomatoes. It's a very easy recipe.
- 3 1⁄2 cups cooked tomatoes (cut into chunks, stew over medium heat 15-20 min. WITHOUT using added water)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1⁄4 teaspoon honey (to neutralize the acid of the tomatoes)
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- fresh parsley, to garnish
- Cook the onions and garlic in the butter with the salt until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the herbs and pepper, and saute a few more minutes.
- Add tomatoes, sherry and honey.
- Cover and simmer 30-40 minutes.
- Cut the cream cheese into small cubes and add to the hot soup.
- Continue cooking and stir until smooth.
- Serve garnished with fresh parsley.
I didn't know whether to give 4 or 5 stars. It was very good. Mine turned out very thick, like a sauce instead of a soup. My husband said it would make a better pasta or chicken topping than a soup. But, good taste and creamy.
Yummy soup! Easy to make. Definitely a keeper! thanks!