Rhiannon and Matt's Note:
"For soup, mushrooms need not be the choicest buttons. Large, flat mushrooms will have better flavour." This recipe comes from Charmaine Solomon's Complete Vegetarian Cookbook. It was the first cookbook I purchased when I gave up meat, and it is filled with really fantastic recipes, but since my Zaar addiction I hardly *look* at a cookbook anymore! :D So while I'm looking at this one, I'll post some recipes I'd like to try.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 500 g mushrooms, wiped & sliced
- 50 g butter
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 (375 ml) can evaporated milk (12 fl oz)
- 2 cups milk (16 fl oz)
- 2 cups water
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (cornstarch)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 1Heat butter in a heavy-based saucepan and gently saute the onion and garlic until soft.
- 2Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 2 mins, then grind plenty of black pepper over the top and sprinkle with salt.
- 3Cover with a well fitting lid and cook on very low hea, shaking the pan from time to time, for 10 minutes.
- 4Add all the liquid and stir as it comes to a simmer.
- 5Mix cronflour with a little cold water and stir into the soup until it thickens.
- 6Simmer, stirring for 1 minute, then stir in the coriander, saving a little bit of it for garnish.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cream of Mushroom Soup
Serving Size: 1 (314 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 339.0
- Calories from Fat 202
- Total Fat 22.4 g
- Saturated Fat 13.8 g
- Cholesterol 72.7 mg
- Sodium 845.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 14.1 g