Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Developed for RSC#11. This soup knocked my socks off. I made more soon after finishing batch #1. It's so creamy - thickened with a roux and topped off with cream. The shallots & white wine make it refined & lovely while the cayenne gives it a nice kick. All while being creamy, dreamy comfort food. It's quick & easy, too. What more could you want??
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup minced shallot
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne (more or less to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter.
- Saute shallots until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in flour. Cook a few minutes.
- Add wine & whisk until smooth. Cook until bubbly & thick.
- Add chicken broth, milk, cayenne, salt, & chicken. Bring to just a simmer for 5 minutes to heat through thoroughly & thicken.
- Add cream & bring to a simmer again. Garnish with a sprinkling of parsley & serve.
4 Star - I chose this recipe because I had two cooked chicken breast in the fridge. I ate it on a day were it was getting cool after a hot humid summer day. It really hit the spot, the taste was great, I thought the white wine slightly overpowers the flavour but overall it was really nice. The directions for this soup was simple and easy to read. Thank you RSC #11 Chef
We enjoyed the soup but I thought that it could have been a little thicker. I did use gluten-free flour to suit my diet needs -so perhaps this could have been the issue. I think this recipe would also work with extra stock in place of the wine for anyone who cooks without adding alcohol. The soup was simple to make and had good, clear instructions. Good luck in the RSC competition :)
Great flavor! I really enjoyed the hints of the shallot and wine. The flavors were delicious and not overpowering. The only thing I would change is the thickness of the soup. Next time, I'll add more flour to get a thicker consistency. Great soup..thanks!