Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love carrot soup, and this is the best so far. Points 2.
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 cups defatted chicken or 2 cups vegetable stock
- 4 ounces carrots, sliced
- 1 large potato, cubed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- In a 2-quart saucepan, saute the onions in the oil until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, carrots, potatoes and thyme.
- Simmer until tender, about 25 minutes.
- Puree in a food mill or blender.
- Stir in the milk.
The first time I made this, we ate so much that most of dinner ended up being put away for the next day. This recipe is great because it uses staples, you can whip it up anytime. I used evaporated milk and added some fresh ground pepper. To change it a little, add a little curry powder one time, some whole coriander seed the next. I use my stick blender and then return to the burner after adding the milk. A little sour cream or yogurt on each serving with some chopped chives dresses this up, if you're so inclined.