Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is from Rachel, my MIL. She suggests sprinkling grated cheese on top of each serving.
- 2 cups water
- 2 (16 ounce) packages frozen chopped broccoli
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups low-fat milk
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- In a medium saucepan, cook broccoli in water for five minutes, then cover and let sit on stove.
- Melt margarine in large pot. Saute onion in margarine over low heat for about 10 minutes. Add flour, stirring gradually until smooth, then cook 1 minute more, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add milk and then bouillon cubes. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture is thickened.
- Add broccoli with its cooking water and white pepper.
I really enjoyed this soup. I cut the fat a little by only using 1/4 of butter. It was still thick and creamy. I did sprinkle cheese on top before serving. I'll make this again since I always have these ingredients on hand. Thanx!
My girlfriend and I loved this soup!we also used fresh broc,butter,whole milk added salt, black pepper, we used bouillon without MSG and once the soup was in the bowls we added shredded chedder. after the soup cooked down for a little bit we blended 2 cups twice and added it back.this made the soup super creamy!
Can't complain about this easy tasty soup! I used fresh Broccoli, chopped it up quite fine cooked it in the milk/stock. I used 4 cups 2% milk and 3 cups Chicken stock, no granuales. It was enjoyed very much by a convalescing friend.