Paula's Cream of Broccoli Soup
- Ready In:
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 small onion, minced
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt (I use Lawry's)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 (14 ounce) package frozen broccoli florets
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan and lightly sauté onion.
- Add flour, bouillon cubes and seasonings, stirring until smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Gradually whisk in milk.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, cook broccoli according to package directions.
- Add broccoli and simmer an additional 10 minutes.
- At this point, you could put in a crock set on low until ready to serve.
- NOTE: When I make this in the crock pot, I triple the cream soup base and add 2 packages of the broccoli florets.
Join The Conversation
This soup was very tasty! It was easy to make and me and my husband loved eating it. I added 5 instead of 6 spoons of butter to make it a little healthier and I used 1% milk and it still tasted amazing! I really like there is no cheese in this soup. I thought I would need to add some but it truly didn't need it! Thanks for sharing this keeper!
Delicious!! We just finished this for dinner tonight. I used Fresh Broccoli instead of frozen, since i had a lot. I just steamed it a few minutes. For the sauce, I did as directed, except I used Chicken "Better than Bouillon" base instead of the cubes. And I didn't have any seasoning salt, so I found a recipe for a substitute and whipped up a version of that. And then I added 2 slices of American Cheese. My mom always put cheese in her's, but I didn't want to use much. It added just enough flavor/texture to be perfect.<br/><br/>It was one of the best Cream of Broccoli Soups I've had (including restaurants), and by far, the best I've made at HOME. Definitely a keeper.
Very good, even with my didn't watch it enough so it scorched a touch cooking method! My 7 year old told me it "was not bad," but the 3 year old ate half a bowl, which is something lately! I did add a bit more seasoned salt (Johnny's cause it's the best!) and I put a touch of sour cream and a light sprinkle of shredded cheese in my bowl. Yummy! Thanks for sharing.