Recipe by Suzanne S.
I made this for my in-laws when they were visiting over the Christmas holidays. It is a very hearty soup.
Top Review by chris.koponen
very good! although, i used FOUR cups of chicken stock and cut the half and half to TWO cups..also, i was out of flour (surprise!) and so i used bisquick..my little experiment! plus, i threw in approximately a half head of LARGE garlic cloves into the blender with some of the soup..pretty garlicky! will let it chill in the refrigerator for a few hours before lunchtime...i also used TWO 12 oz. frozen chopped broccoli bags for this..so easy!
- 1 bunch broccoli or 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen broccoli
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1 quart half-and-half
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup grated cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook broccoli in stock with onions until soft.
- Place in blender and blend quickly.
- Leave small pieces of broccoli.
- Make a roux using butter and flour.
- Cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add broccoli and stock to roux.
- To avoid lumps, stir constantly until thickened.
- Thin to preferred consistency with cream.
- Add seasonings (and cheese) and serve.