Recipe by Nyah's mommy
This is a recipe that I found on the Joy of Baking and I made it for our Wednesday night dinner at church and everyone loved it. I made fresh berries and cream as a compliment to go with the cake. I also added 1/4 cup mayonnaise to the recipe which the original didn't call for but I do that for almost all of my cakes to make them very moist. Also the orange zest and lemon zest are optional. I added the lemon and it made it taste pretty much like a lemon cake so if you don't want the fruit flavor I would omit the zest or only use a small amount like 1/2 a teaspoon. To make your own superfine sugar, place 3 cups granulated white sugar in a food processor. Process until very fine, about 30 seconds.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 cups superfine sugar
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 lemon zest (optional) or 1 orange zest (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease and flour a 10 inch bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the sugar, in three additions, beating well after each addition. Continue beating on medium-high speed until light and fluffy (about 3 - 5 minutes).
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add vanilla.
- Add lemon zest, if using, and beat until incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture and mix just until incorporated. Fold in mayonnaise.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 1 to 1 hour 15 minutes or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool for about 20 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan and cool completely. (The cake is cooled in the pan first for about 20 minutes so the cake has time to set. The cake may collapse if you try to remove it from the pan too early.).
- Serve with fresh berries and cream.