Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Because these brownies are part cheesecake, they should be stored in the refrigerator. Served at a cool room temperature.
- 2⁄3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter (8 ounces)
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 egg yolk
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position, and preheat oven to 325 degrees. Whisk flour, salt, and baking powder in a small bowl; set aside. Coat an 8-inch-square baking pan with cooking spray, and, fit an 8-by-16-inch sheet of aluminum foil in bottom of pan. (Foil overhangs both sides of the pan; use as handles to remove baked brownies from pan.) Coat foil with cooking spray.
- In a medium heat-proof bowl set over a pan of almost simmering water, melt chocolate and butter, stirring occasionally until mixture is smooth. (Alternatively, melt chocolate and butter in microwave oven.) Remove melted chocolate mixture from heat; whisk in 1 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla; then whisk in 3 eggs, one at a time, fully incorporating each before adding the next. Continue whisking until mixture is completely smooth. Add dry ingredients; whisk until just incorporated.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese with remaining 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and egg yolk until of even consistency.
- Pour half the brownie batter into prepared pan. Drop half the cream cheese mixture, by spoonfuls, over batter. Repeat layering and swirling with remaining brownie batter and cream cheese filling. Use blade of a table knife or a spoon handle to gently swirl batter and cream cheese filling, creating a marbled effect.
- Bake until edges of brownies have puffed slightly, center feels not quite firm when touched lightly, and a toothpick or cake tester inserted into center comes out with several moist, fudgy crumbs adhering to it, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Cool brownies in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Use foil sling handles to lift brownies from pan. Place brownies on wire rack; allow them to cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 3 hours. (To hasten cooling, place brownies in the freezer for about 1 1/2 hours.) Cut into squares and serve. (Do not cut brownies until ready to serve. Whole bar can be wrapped in plastic wrap, then foil, and refrigerated up to 5 days.).
These were a great hit here at the home, you should have seen the more alert residents rolling their eyes and asking what holiday is it? These were so good and smooth and fudgy. Thank you Chef 331672 for posting and for providing our home with such a delicious treat. Diane