Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups crawfish
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 clove garlic, mashed
- 1 1⁄2 pints water, cold
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon green onion
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 3⁄4 cup whole tomato
- 1 pint water, cold, mixed with crawfish fat
- 1⁄2 cup crawfish fat
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- In a heavy bottom pot, make a roux by adding flour to heated oil. Over low heat stir constantly until a deep golden brown. Take pot away from heat for fear of burning.
- Add onions, garlic and celery; cook about 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir; return to heat and add 1 pint of water, tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper. Cook over high heat, stirring until sauce simmers, then reduce heat again.
- While sauce is simmering, combine remaining water with crawfish fat in a large saucepot. Cook over high heat, stirring constantly until it comes to a boil.
- Add sauce to fat and water; let simmer 1 hour.
- Season with salt and pepper again if needed.
- Add crawfish tails, green onions and parsley.
- Serve in soup plate over a scoop.