Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
From the book "Cranberry Autumn", by Wende & Harry Devlin, published in 1993
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1 cup oats
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350'.
- Combine oats, flour, brown sugar, & walnuts.
- Cut butter into small pieces & combine with dry ingredients.
- Pour half of the mixture into a buttered 8" by 8" baking pan, then spread cranberry sauce over it.
- Top cranberry sauce with the rest of the flour mixture.
- Bake 45 minutes & serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
This was yet another batch of cookies/bars that I added to a recent cookie buffet held for residents of my mobile home park! One change I made was to add about 1/4 cup of dried cranberries to the whole berry cranberry sauce, just to jack up the cranberry flavor! Very, very nice! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in the current Pick A Chef event]
Thank you rpsj2 for a delicious treat. Made this exactly as written except opted out of the nuts as it is a family preference to do do. I took my homemade cranberry sauce leftover from Thanksgiving and used it for this recipe with the ingredients that I had in my pantry. Thanks for helping me stretch my budget and serve a warm dessert to my family. It is a lot like a cobbler type dessert except that there is the layer of topping and the bottom layer with the fruit in the middle. I think it would be great with applesauce too. Served with whipped cream and the pan is empty! Enjoy. ChefDLH
These are so easy to make and delicious to eat! I've been making these for years, since I read the book to my class years ago.