Recipe by Olha
These are the perfect Christmas scones. Serve hot with butter and jam or Cranberry Mango Chutney. The Cranberry Mango Chutney is deep red with chunky texture and makes a beautiful festive gift.
CRANBERRY MANGO CHUTNEY
- 14 ounces of sliced mangoes in syrup, chopped
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries or 12 ounces frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup dark raisin
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grated gingerroot or 3⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 strip lemon peel (4 inches, length)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 6 tablespoons hard margarine, melted or 6 tablespoons butter
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR THE MANGO CHUTNEY: Combine all 14 ingredients in large pot or Dutch oven. Bring to a boil on medium. Reduce heat to medium low. Simmer, uncovered, for 50 to 60 minutes until thickened. Remove and discard lemon peel. Store in refrigerator for up to 4 weeks. Makes about 4 cups.
- FOR THE CRANBERRY SCONES: Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Make a well in centre.
- Beat egg in small bowl until frothy. Add margarine and milk. Mix. Pour into well. Add cranberries. Stir until just moistened. Turn out onto well floured surface. Knead 8 to 10 times. Divide into 2 equal portions. Pat each into 6 inch circle. Arrange on greased baking sheet.
- TOPPING: Brush tops with milk. Sprinkle with sugar. Score each circle into 6 wedges. Bake in 425 oven for about 15 minutes until risen and lightly golden. Makes 12 scones.
- Company’s Coming Home for the Holidays.