Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a wonderful recipe that I got out of Woman's World a couple of years ago and have been making ever since. Even those that have turned their nose up at first loved it! :)
- 16 ounces seasoned stuffing mix, cubed kind
- 6 tablespoons butter (seperated)
- 1 lb sage sausage
- 4 cups apples, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped or 4 teaspoons dried parsley
- 3⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 0.5 (8 ounce) package dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 425 and butter a 3 qt baking dish.
- Place stuffing in large bowl; reserve.
- In large nonstick skillet, melt 2 T. butter over medium high heat. Crumble in sausage; cook, stirring, until no longer pink. Stir sausage with drippings into stuffing.
- In same skillet, melt 2 T. butter over medium heat. Add apples, onion, celery, and salt; cook stirring occasionally, until softened. Add broth and parsley; bring to a boil. Pour over stuffing; stir until moistened.
- Stir in cranberries and eggs.
- Spoon into baking dish; cover with foil. Bake 30 minutes.
- Melt remaining butter, uncover stuffing; drizzle with butter. Bake until crisp and golden, about 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
This is a wonderful stuffing full of flavors we love - I halved the recipe and left out the sausage only because I forgot to add it to my shopping list - and if it doesn't get put on my list you can bet I'll forget it! I have made similar stuffing before with the sausage and know it would have only made it better! I served it with Cranberry Barbecue Chicken - Crock Pot and haven't cooked for a week, so this home-cooked meal was definitely welcomed and enjoyed by my hungry bunch! Made and reviewed for Bev. Tag - March 2008.
This is probably the best stuffing I have ever made. I have made similar stuffing recipes, but never with the sage sausage and eggs. I was a little leery, about adding sausage,and the 2 eggs, but it really made the recipe!<br/>There are a couple of tweaks, would make: <br/>I would cook it at 400, not 425, it was a little overdone on the bottom corners,edges.<br/>Also, my Mrs. Cubbison's box of stuffing, was only 10 oz., and the recipe calls for 16 oz stuffing mix, so I added a 6 oz box of stove top stuffing mix,(my husband and I actually love stove top stuffing, so we got the best of both worlds with this substitution), and the flavors in this stuffing were the bomb!!!!<br/>I ate more stuffing this Thanksgiving than I have probably eaten in my whole life!!! I HATED stuffing as a kid. If my mom and grandma had made it like this recipe, I would have LOVED stuffing as a kid!!!<br/>Just give me a bowl with this stuffing, and cranberry sauce on the side, and I am a HAPPY HAPPY girl!!!!<br/>BTW, my husband, who didn't think he would like it because of the sausage...LOVED IT too!!!<br/><br/>Thank you for this great recipe SweetsLady! This will be our Holiday stuffing recipe forever!
Being from Texas, we like cornbread dressing, so I substituted the leftover cornbread that I had saved for half of the seasoned stuffing mix + 1 Tbsp. poultry seasoning. Had to add more broth to help moisten the cornbread, but other than that I followed the recipe exactly. This is my new favorite dressing recipe!