This is my favorite quick bread recipe! It comes from a new cookbook titled: The New American Plate Cookbook, American Institute for Cancer Research. This bread is not only easy to make but very good for you and tasty! My edits are to use more whole wheat flour instead of white flour and it also eliminates table sugar. I use Splenda sweetener to taste. Since Splenda has zero calories, this bread is lower in calories. ENJOY!
- canola oil cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda granular, artificial sweetener
- Preheat the oven to 35o degrees. Lightly coat an 8 X4-inch loaf pan with canola oil spray and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, flaxseed, sugar, baking soda, and salt, and set aside. In a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Whisk in the pumpkin, canola oil, applesaucew, apple juice, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Stir in the dried cranberries.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing until all the dry ingredients are fully incorporated into the batter. Do not beat or overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until a wooden toothpick inseted into the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove the bread from the pan and continue cooling on the rack.