Recipe by Derf
A Christmas tradition around our house, it goes quickly and I end up making it several times over the season, especially good toasted regular or under the broiler with a little cheddar sprinkled over.
Top Review by iLuv2cook 2
Excellent Recipe! So rich and delicious! I was so anxious to make this because it looked so yummy that I skipped over reading reviews! I originally took out dried cranberries, then by looking at pic#1 posted by Derf I saw they used fresh cranberries~ so glad I had them hanging in freezer! I placed in a loaf pan and baked 10 minutes less because I didn't think the batter was enough for my bundt pan. Other poster recommended doubling batch and then baking in a bundt pan~ I should of read this first. Also, since this is a KEEPER---I will add about 1/2 cup more cranberries as well as add chopped walnuts in the future~~just personal preference. THANKS for posting DERF!!!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter (shortening)
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cranberries, leave a few whole
- 1⁄2 cup chopped glace green cherries (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Combine orange juice and grated rind with well beaten eggs.
- Pour all at once into dry ingredients, mixing just enough to dampen.
- Dust chopped cranberries and cherries with a tablespoon of flour, carefully fold into batter Spoon into a well buttered 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Sprinkle a few floured whole cranberries over top of batter.
- Bake in a moderate oven,350 degrees about 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Cool in casserole 10 minutes, then remove.
- Store overnight for easy slicing.
- Frost with confectioner's frosting, (sift 2 cups icing sugar, very slowly add boiling water, a tablespoon at a time, until right spreading consistency, spread on slightly cooled bread).
- Also delicious sliced with butter or toasted under broiler, spread with butter and sprinkled with cheddar.