Prep 2 hrs
Cook 3 hrs
This is a recipe from Taste of Home. I love the taste of cranberries with baked beans!
- 3 cups dried navy beans
- 5 cups cranberry juice
- 1⁄2 lb lean salt pork, diced
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 5 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Place beans in a Dutch overn or soup kettle.
- Add water to cover by 2".
- Bring to a boil.
- Boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain beans and discard liquid.
- Return beans to Dutch oven.
- Add cranberry juice.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the beans are almost tender.
- Drain, reserving cranberry liquid.
- Palce beans in a 2 and 1/2 qt casserole or bean pot.
- Add remaining ingredients and 1 and 1/2 c cranberry liquid.
- Cover and bake at 350 for 3 hours or until beans are tender and of desired consistency, stirring every 30 minutes.
- Add reserved cranberry liquid as needed.
I love homemade baked beans and had to try this recipe because I thought cranberry juice sounded as if it would be an interesting addition. No one could taste the cranberry juice but to me I tasted it but maybe that was because I made the recipe. The recipe is good but it took me longer than 3 hours to bake, maybe 3 1/2 - 4 hours.
This was quite good. I used center-cut bacon instead of salt pork.