Recipe by Bergy
These scones freeze well. Nice on a festive brunch table
Top Review by Sue Lau
Delicious! These were very flavorful, with a nice pleasant citrus taste from the orange with a little tart bite from the cranberries. Very colorful, and nice and moist, too! Great with my coffee, definitely a keeper! Thanks, Bergy!
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cold butter
- 1 cup fresh cranberries (do not thaw frozen berries) or 1 cup frozen cranberries (do not thaw frozen berries)
- 12 -14 tablespoons applesauce
- 1 (175 g) container low-fat yogurt
- grated orange, rind of
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425f.
- Combine the first 5 ingredients (dry ingredients).
- With a pastry blender or 2 knives cut in the butter until crumbles are the size of peas Add cranberries, mix well.
- In a small bowl combine:applesauce, yogurt& peel.
- Add to dry ingredients and mix gently, do not knead.
- Remove dough from bowl, divide into four parts and divide each quarter into 4 parts making 16 scones.
- Be as gentle as possible when forming sconePlace on a cookie sheet, do not let the scones touch Bake 18-25 minutes or until browned.
- Cool on a rack.