Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a fantastic relish to serve with Turkey or other meats, or as everyone I work with believes with a sharp cheese on crackers. This Relish is so yummy that it vanishes out of my work fridge faster than I can make it. I first made it last year for Christmas hampers and have had constant requests since.
- 50 g butter
- 900 g red onions, Sliced thinly or 3 large red onions
- 1 kg cranberries (if using dried rehydrate first, Frozen or fresh are fine also)
- 2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup malt vinegar or 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt (Cooking)
- 4 cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- Melt butter in a large saucepan then add onion and cook stirring until soft.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir over heat until the suger dissolves. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally until thick (about 1 hour).
- Meanwhile sterilise Jars for storage.
- When thick pour relish into hot sterilised jars, seal immediately.
- Store for up to 3 months in the fridge.