Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 -2 stalk fresh lemongrass (each 10 to 12 in. long) or 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel (yellow part only)
- 12 kaffir lime leaves, sections (each 1 1/2 to 2 in. long) or 1 tablespoon lime zest (green part only)
- 1⁄3 lb shelled cooked crabmeat
- 1⁄4 cup thinly slivered shallot
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded carrot
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons thai chili paste (purchased or homemade)
- 1 teaspoon asian fish sauce or 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 8 ounces English cucumbers
- Rinse lemon grass. Cut off and discard tough tops and root ends; peel off and discard tough outer green layers of stalks down to tender white parts. Finely chop enough to make 1/4 cup.
- Rinse kaffir lime leaves. Stack three or four leaves at a time and cut crosswise into very fine shreds.
- In a bowl, mix lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves, crab, shallots, carrot, cilantro, mint, and green onion.
- In a small bowl, mix lime juice, chili paste, fish sauce (but not salt, if using), and sugar.
- Just before serving, stir lime-juice mixture into crab mixture. If not using fish sauce, add salt to taste.
- Rinse cucumber and cut crosswise into about 24 rounds about 1/4 inch thick. Top each slice with a scant tablespoon crab mixture.