Recipe by Chef George S.
A wonderful winter treat straight from the Pacific Northwest. It's December and dungeness crab season has just started. A perfect start to a festive meal. A food processor or blender makes the dressing easier.
- 3 cups green leaf lettuce, torn into small pieces
- 3 cups red leaf lettuce, torn into small pieces
- 1 cup curly endive lettuce, torn into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup radicchio, torn into small pieces
- 3 hard-boiled eggs (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup hazelnuts, roasted and chopped fine
- 2 dungeness crabs, cooked and picked
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh nutmeg, grated
- 1 tablespoon brandy (fruit brandy is suggested)
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons hazelnut oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine the vinegar, mustard, salt,and pepper. Beat with wire whisk. Add the nutmeg and brandy.
- Beat well for one minute.
- Very slowly, add the oil in tiny droplets, beating constantly with the whisk. Taste for seasoning.
- Just before serving, add the greens to the dressing.Toss gently to coat the greens.
- Put onto serving plates, divide crab meat evenly between the plates and sprinkle with hazelnuts.
- Decorate each plate with 1/2 boiled egg, thinly sliced (if using).