Unlike the one-person Cobb salads at restaurants, here everyone serves him/herself from one big beautiful bowl (though you can of course arrange individual salads, if you prefer). The crab, bacon and avocado make a fantastic combination, the carrots are a colorful, light alternative to shredded cheese, and the caramelized pecans are to-die-for, especially with the blue cheese. YUM! Serves 4 as main dish, 6 as side salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 cups pecan halves
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- salt, to taste
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 bag pre-washed salad greens (I used half a bag of romaine and half a bag of “spring greens”)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 slices hickory smoked bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups diced seeded fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 2 large avocados, peeled,pitted and diced
- 3/4 lemon, juice of, divided
- garlic salt, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups lump crabmeat or 1 1/2 cups imitation crabmeat (or a combination)
- 2 -3 ounces crumbled gorgonzola or 2 -3 ounces blue cheese
- ranch dressing
- 1Make caramelized pecans (see directions below), cook bacon and drain and crumble, and prepare vegetables.
- 2Squeeze juice of half a lemon onto avocado pieces, sprinkle them with garlic salt, and stir gently to coat.
- 3Squeeze remaining lemon juice onto crab.
- 4Place salad greens in a large bowl.
- 5Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss gently.
- 6Arrange toppings in triangle or pie-wedge shaped areas on top of salad in the following order clockwise: crab (at 12 oclock), avocado, bacon, carrot, gorgonzola, pecans (1 to 1 ½ cup), tomato.
- 7Serve from the middle outward, grabbing lettuce from underneath and taking bits from the various toppings.
- 8Pass ranch dressing.
- 10Caramelized Pecans: Place pecans and sugar in large metal skillet.
- 11Sprinkle with salt, cayenne and garlic powder.
- 12Cook on medium-low, stirring constantly, until sugar begins to melt and stick to the bottom of the pan, about 4-6 minutes.
- 13Continue stirring one minute, then lower heat to low and continue stirring constantly until sugar liquefies and the pecans are fully coated, about 3-5 more minutes.
- 14Remove immediately from heat and spread to cool on foil sprayed with cooking spray.
- 15When cool, separate gently.
- 16Note: This makes a bit more than youll need for the salad to provide for the munch factor!
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crab Cobb Salad with Caramelized Pecans
Serving Size: 1 (199 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 826.4
- Calories from Fat 662
- Total Fat 73.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.7 g
- Cholesterol 41.4 mg
- Sodium 606.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.9 g
- Sugars 18.4 g
- Protein 15.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
hickory smoked bacon