1/1 Photo of Crab & Asparagus Soup
From the seafood cooking school, Sydney.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 (300 g) cooked swimmer live blue crabs (see notes)
- 1 1/2 liters chicken stock (recipe follows)
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated gingerroot
- 10 stalks green asparagus, sliced on the diagonal
- 3 green onions, finely sliced on the diagonal
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot, made into a paste with 2 tablespoons water
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves (optional)
- salt, flakes and
- fresh ground white pepper, to taste
- 1Pick meat from crabs, reserving shells.
- 2Crush shells, place in a saucepan with the stock and bring to the boil.
- 3Reduce heat, crush shells with a meat mallet or wooden spoon as much as possible.
- 4Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 5Strain, pushing through a fine sieve to extract as much liquid as possible from shells.
- 6Strain stock again, through muslin or a very fine sieve, into cleaned saucepan.
- 7Add ginger and asparagus spears. Bring to the boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 5 minutes until asparagus is just tender.
- 8Add the green onions, sesame oil and arrowroot paste, increase heat and stir until soup thickens.
- 9Reduce heat, add crabmeat and slowly pour in egg, stirring slowly so that the egg forms thin ribbons through the soup.
- 10Taste, add salt and pepper and serve garnished with coriander leaves if you like.
- 11Notes: You can use other types of crabs for this recipe, or 300g fresh crabmeat if you don't want to pick your own.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crab & Asparagus Soup
Serving Size: 1 (647 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 529.9
- Calories from Fat 127
- Total Fat 14.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 390.2 mg
- Sodium 1653.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 71.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: