Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the seafood cooking school, Sydney.
Make and share this Crab & Asparagus Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 3 (300 g) cooked swimmer live blue crabs (see notes)
- 1 1⁄2 liters chicken stock (recipe follows)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely grated gingerroot
- 10 stalks green asparagus, sliced on the diagonal
- 3 green onions, finely sliced on the diagonal
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot, made into a paste with 2 tablespoons water
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves (optional)
- salt, flakes and
- fresh ground white pepper, to taste
- Pick meat from crabs, reserving shells.
- Crush shells, place in a saucepan with the stock and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat, crush shells with a meat mallet or wooden spoon as much as possible.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Strain, pushing through a fine sieve to extract as much liquid as possible from shells.
- Strain stock again, through muslin or a very fine sieve, into cleaned saucepan.
- Add ginger and asparagus spears. Bring to the boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 5 minutes until asparagus is just tender.
- Add the green onions, sesame oil and arrowroot paste, increase heat and stir until soup thickens.
- Reduce heat, add crabmeat and slowly pour in egg, stirring slowly so that the egg forms thin ribbons through the soup.
- Taste, add salt and pepper and serve garnished with coriander leaves if you like.
- Notes: You can use other types of crabs for this recipe, or 300g fresh crabmeat if you don't want to pick your own.