Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced green chili peppers, drained or 1 fresh poblano pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can navy beans or 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (6 ounce) package frozen crabmeat, thawed and flaked or 1 (6 1/2 ounce) can crabmeat, drained, flaked, and cartilage removed or 1 cup chopped cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- fresh cilantro stem (optional)
- chopped sweet red pepper (optional)
- warm tortilla (optional)
- In a large saucepan cook sweet pepper, onion, and fresh Anaheim or poblano pepper (if using) in hot oil about 3 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in beans and chicken broth.
- Bring to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir 1/2 cup of the milk into the flour.
- Add to saucepan along with remaining milk.
- Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly.
- Cook and stir 1 minute more.
- Stir in crabmeat or chicken, cilantro, and thyme (if using canned chili peppers, add them now); heat through.
- If desired, garnish chowder with additional cilantro and sweet pepper and serve with warm tortillas.
- Make-Ahead Tip: Prepare the chowder as directed. Cover and chill for up to 2 days.
- To serve, place in a covered saucepan and reheat over medium heat until hot.