Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I got this recipe from Southern Living, which is probably my favorite magazine for recipes...and who am I kidding...for everything. It's relatively simple to follow for even the beginner cook!
- 2 lbs medium raw shrimp, unpeeled
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium creole seasoning
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) container fresh crabmeat, drained and flaked
- 5 cups cooked long-grain rice
- chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Peel shrimp; devein, if desired.2. Melt butter with oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat; stir in flour, and cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until caramel colored. Add chopped onion, green pepper, and celery; cook, stirring constantly, 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add minced garlic, and sauté 1 minute.
- Stir in chicken broth, white wine, and next 6 ingredients, and cook, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Add shrimp. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
- Stir in crabmeat; cook, stirring often, until thoroughly heated.
- Spoon shrimp mixture into individual serving bowls. Spoon hot cooked rice on top of shrimp mixture. Garnish, if desired.
- *2 (16-oz.) packages frozen unpeeled, raw shrimp, thawed according to package directions, may be substituted.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Tony Chachere's Lite Creole Seasoning.