Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs 30 mins
No tomatoes or beef but these beans still are red, saucy, spicy and tasty. Might work as a crockpot recipe.
- 1 lb kidney bean, soaked overnight
- 1⁄2 lb additive-free pork sausage
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons basil, minced or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped (optional)
- Drain the beans and discard the soak water. Place in a large saucepan, cover with fresh water and simmer for 2 hours.
- Crumble the sausage into a large frying pan and cook until all the pink is gone. Drain off all but 1 tbsp of fat.
- Add the onions and saute until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the sausage mixture to the beans and simmer until the beans ore tender, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Add the basil, tamari sauce, lemon juice, Italian Seasoning, chili powder and jalapeno.
- Mash some of the beans with the back of a spoon to thicken the sauce a bit. Simmer for 30 minutes.