Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I came across this recipe a while ago and think it will be a great Father's Day meal. Recipe source: Coyote Cafe
- 4 rib eye steaks, 1-1/2 inch thick bone-in (or T-bone steaks)
- 4 onions, cut into rings, 1/8th inch thick
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons paprika (hot Hungarian is best)
- vegetable oil (for deep frying the onion rings)
- salt and pepper
- Bring steaks to room temperature before grillng.
- Soak onions in milk for one hour; drain.
- In a large bowl or pie pan mix together flour, chili powder, cornstarch, salt, cumin, sugar and paprika.
- Dredge onions in flour mixture, shaking off any excess.
- Heat oil in a large heavy frying pan (cast iron works well) and heat to 360 degress Fahrenheit.
- Add onions in batches, cooking until golden brown. BE CAREFUL. They cook fast (30 to 45 seconds).
- Transfer onion rings to paper towels to drain off excess grease.
- Meanwhile, season steaks with salt and pepper and place in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat.
- Cook about 7 to 10 minutes per side, pouring off excess fat before turning.
- Finish cooking steaks on the grill (or skip the frying step and just grill steaks to desired doneness (10 minutes per side).
- Serve steaks with onion rings, baked potatoes and salsa, or as desired.
These onion rings are totally fabulous-they really were the star of the show, and set the steak off beautifully!
Made for PRMR.
What a great meal. The onion rings were the key. Combine them with the perfectly cooked steak and you've got a great combination. We grilled our rib eye steaks on the grill. I also cut the onion recipe in half (Just me and DH would be eating them) I thought the amount of chili powder was going to be to much, but combined with everything else, it was perfect. Thanks for sharing. Made for PRMR- June 2010
These were really good. I followed the recipe exactly as written and everyone enjoyed these.