Do you remember going to the big yearly fair when you were a kid? The rides, exhibitions and all of the yummy things that you never got at home! Travel back to that time with this recipe from KAF and create homemade memories for your family and don't forget the grandkids.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- 2Work in the cold butter, using a pastry blender, your fingers, or a mixer.
- 3Stir in the warm water to make a soft dough. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
- 4Divide the dough into eight pieces. Working with one piece at a time, roll into a thin 5" round, about 3/8" thick.
- 5Heat about 3/8" vegetable oil to 375°F in an electric frying pan, or in a pan over a burner. If you're using a 10" diameter pan, this is 2 cups of vegetable oil. If you're not using an electric frying pan, use a candy thermometer to take the temperature of the oil; or guesstimate it by seeing if the first piece of dough fries nicely in the time specified.
- 6Pick up one dough disk, and carefully lower it into the pan. Let it cook for 60 seconds (it'll puff up on top and become light brown on the bottom), then flip it over and cook until light brown on the other side, about 60 seconds. You don't want to cook these too dark; they'll become overly crisp.
- 7Remove from the oil and set on a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Place in a 200°F oven to keep warm while you make the remaining fried doughs.
- 8Serve warm, with maple syrup or cider syrup; confectioners' sugar, or cinnamon sugar; or the topping of your choice — some folks enjoy a savory version, with marinara sauce and cheese.
- 10Peanut oil is our favorite deep-frying oil; it has a higher smoke point, and neutral flavor.
- 11Up to 1/4 of sugar may be added if desired.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for County Fair Fried Dough
Serving Size: 1 (58 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 139.7
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 310.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 3.2 g