Recipe by Karen1961
This is just something I whipped up off the top of my head. The family loved it. The sauce is rich without being too fatty. Wonderful accompanied with mashed potatoes and vegetable of your choice. I've listed Mrs. Dash, but almost any seasoning mix (McCormicks, President's Choice, etc.) would do.
- 6 chicken breast halves
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon mrs. dash salt-free garlic and herb seasoning
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 small green pepper, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in heavy skillet on medium high heat. Combine flour, salt and Mrs. Dash in a medium bowl(set aside a tablespoon); dredge chicken breasts in flour mixture and brown in skillet, 2 or 3 at a time. Set aside.
- Brown onion and mushroom in same skillet, add green pepper and garlic, saute for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add water and stir, dissolving most of the browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Add red wine and bring mixture to a boil. Slowly sprinkle reserve flour mixture into boiling sauce, stirring constantly to prevent lumps, until sauce is desired thickness (you probably won't use all of the reserved flour mixture).
- Heat oven at 325. Place chicken in lidded casserole dish, pour sauce over top; cover and bake for 30 to 45 minutes. Sprinkle parsley over top for garnish.