Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this recipe in a local grocery store flyer. It sounded really good, so i tried it! I made some modifications to suit what i had on hand and my preferences. The results were great and i served with cheesy rice and sweet tea for a country style meal.
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup diced fresh tomato
- 1⁄4 cup diced green pepper
- 1⁄4 cup diced red onion
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1 dash garlic powder
- 1 dash fresh rosemary
- 1 5⁄8 ounces country gravy mix
- Heat skillet with oil on medium high heat.
- Wash chicken and place in bread cumb mix, coat chicken by pressing and turning to coat all sides.
- Place chick in pan and cook 6-8 minutes turning to cook both sides until crispy and golden brown.
- Stir tomatoes, green peppers, onions and seasonings into pan with drippings saute until onions are translucent.
- Stir in gravy mixture and slowly add 1 1/2 cups water while constantly stirring so that sauce is smooth.
- Bring to a simmer and let cook for 3-5 minutes until done.
- Serve sauce over chicken.
The only thing I left out of this were the green peppers as I had none to hand. This is a recipe that represents a very strange phenomenon that I have found a few times in a recipe: I like all the ingredients separately very much but they didnâ€™t work for me together at all. Why? Knew knows ? It looked and smelled great but my taste buds were rather disappointed. I will put this down to experience and chalk it up to the fact that Zaar has spoiled me, and Iâ€™m getting fussier with so many great recipes to choose from. Please see my rating system, 3 stars for this one from me. Iâ€™m positive that others could love this and rave about it, but sadly it just didnâ€™t suit our tastes, Still, everything is always worth a try, and Iâ€™m glad that I tried. Thanks for the recipe !