Recipe by Gagoo
A trio of meats--lamb, Italian sausage, and ham--make this tomato and bean stew filling and satisfying, from Recipe.com
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups dried great northern beans
- 3 large carrots, coarsely chopped
- 12 ounces lean boneless lamb, cut into cubes
- 8 ounces bulk Italian sausage
- 3 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄3 cup tomato paste (1/2 of a 6-ounce can)
- 1⁄2 cup cooked ham, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, snipped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, combine the 6 cups water and the dry beans. Bring to boil; reduce heat. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain beans; rinse with cold water and drain again.
- In a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker, combine beans and carrots. In a large skillet, cook lamb, sausage, onions, and garlic over medium heat until sausage is brown, breaking up sausage as it cooks. Drain off fat. Transfer meat mixture to cooker. Stir in the 3 cups water, the bouillon granules, thyme, and oregano.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- In a small bowl, stir wine into tomato paste; add to mixture in cooker along with ham and parsley. Cover and cook for 15 minutes more.
- Makes 6 servings.