Recipe by Sue Lau
It's a Midwest thing. If you can find a smoked pork shoulder roll/smoked butt/cottage roll/cottage ham, try this. It's not a ham, although it tastes a bit similar. It's not like pulled pork either, which is prepared differently.
- 1 smoked pork shoulder roll, 1 1/2 to 2 pounds
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 4 -6 red potatoes, unpeeled, quartered
- 1 lb green beans, trimmed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 -8 crushed peppercorns
- 2 cups water
- stone ground mustard (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the pork in a large crock pot and top with onion, potatoes and green beans.
- Mix seasonings (not mustard) in water and pour over the top.
- Cover and cook on LOW heat 6 to 8 hours or HIGH 3 to 4 hours.
- Drain and serve with stone ground mustard, if desired.