Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
My mom was making this for a family party and I was skeptical because of the cottage cheese. While my uncle (the dessert king) was eating it and loving it, I said "Did you know that you can make cheesecake with cottage cheese?" He said "I don't think that would be good." (As he was on his second piece!) Needless to say he was surprised and he never would have known that it was was made from cottage cheese instead of cream cheese and that it was BETTER for him than regular cheesecake!
- 1 3⁄4 Oreo cookies (about 47 Nilla Wafers) or 1 3⁄4 vanilla wafers (about 47 Nilla Wafers)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups cottage cheese, creamed
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped (approximately 2 cups when whipped)
- For the crumb crust: In a bowl, mix together the ingredients until well combined. Press into a 9 inch springform pan or a 10 inch pie plate.
- For the chilled cheesecake: Combine the gelatin and 3/4 cup of sugar in a medium saucepan.
- Beat the egg yolks, then stir in the milk gradually.
- Stir into the gelatin mixture and place over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly for 3-5 minutes or until gelatin dissolves and mixture is slightly thickened.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon rind, lemon juice and vanilla extract.
- Beat the cottage cheese with and electric mixer at high speed for 3-5 minutes or until completely smooth. Stir into gelatin mixture, then chill, stirring occasionally, until mixture mounds slightly when dropped from a spoon.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Add 1/4 cup sugar gradually and beat until very stiff. Fold into the gelatin mixture, then fold in the whipped cream.
- Turn into the prepared pan. Chill for 3-4 hours or until firm. Loosen side of pan with a sharp knife and release springform.
- You can decorate the cheesecake with chocolate leaves in a circular pattern on top and/or place fresh raspberries in the center.
I think there is a huge typo in this recipe. 2 (8 oz) packages of unflavored gelatin is extremely too much! I think the author of this recipe made a very big mistake and it was a costly one for me. I was hesitant when I started making it and sure it was totally wrong after I opened my last package of gelatin. Please make sure recipes submitted are correct in every measurement and ingredient. Food.com should have proofed and tested before offering online to the public.
I was hesitant about tagging this, but it worked out well. The only changes were I left out the vanilla extract, and I used the vanilla wafers over the Oreos.