Top Review by curmudgeon
It tasted very good, easy to prepare, especially for an old goat like me. Cut the recipe back a bunch. The recipe was made for a big family of red headed Irishmen, not two old folks with senior appetites.
- 4 1⁄2 lbs corned beef brisket
- 5 black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 onion, peeled and left whole
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 head cabbage, cored and cut into wedges
- 6 large potatoes, quartered
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 6 quart Dutch oven, Place the beef brisket, peppercorns, garlic powder, onion, bay leaves and salt.
- Fill pan with water to cover everything plus one inch.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes.
- Skim off any residue that floats to the top.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 2 to 3 hours, until meat can be pulled apart with a fork.
- Once the meat is done, add the cabbage, potatoes and carrots, pressing them down into the liquid.
- Simmer for an additional 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Skim off any oil that comes to the surface.
- Stir in the butter and parsley.
- Remove the pot from the heat.
- Remove meat from the pot and place onto a serving dish and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Also remove vegetables to a bowl and keep warm.
- Slice meat on the diagonal against the grain.
- Serve meat on a platter and spoon juices over meat and vegetables.