My Favorite Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 15mins
- 5 1⁄2 lbs corned beef brisket
- 2 tablespoons pickling spices
- 1 orange, sliced in rounds
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 6 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1 head cabbage, cored & sliced
- 1 cup golden delicious apple, cored & quartered
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 300. Line a 9 x 13 roasting pan with foil, leaving enough extending over the sides to cover and seal in the roast.
- Rinse the brisket and pat dry. Rub with pickling spice and place in the prepared roasting pan. Arrange celery, orange and onion slices on and around the roast. pour in 1/2 cup of water and wrap foil up around and over the roast tightly, making sure the ends are sealed.
- Bake for about 4 hours or until meat is tender.
- About 45 minutes before time is up on the roast, heat 3 tablespoons margarine and 1/4 cup of water in large pot. Add cabbage and apples, cover and simmer over low heat for about 30 minutes.
- Occasionally shake the pot so that nothing sticks to the bottom.
- Serve with remaining margarine and sliced corned beef.
Join The Conversation
OMG!!! I usually cook it in my crockpot, but I realized I forgot to put it in before I left for work. I was looking for a recipe that wouldn't need to be in the crockpot and take 8 hours. So....I tried this one! I don't think I will ever cook it in the crockpot again! It was so yummy AND tender....it just fell apart! I really liked the flavor of the oranges also! Nice change!! Thanks again!