Basic cornbread with added corn. I modified this recipe from one I found in Vegetarian Times. Easy to adjust to your taste!
- 1 1⁄4 cups cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (more or less can be added depending on if you want it to be a sweeter cornbread or not)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup low-fat milk (I usually use soy milk and you can also use buttermilk if you're not counting calories or fat)
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 cup corn (frozen or fresh)
- Preheat oven to 350°F Coat 9x9 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in medium bowl. Whisk together milk, egg, and butter in separate bowl. Stir milk mixture into cornmeal mixture, then fold in corn.
- Spread in prepared pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until sides begin to brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on rack before slicing and serving.
Mmmm, sooo good! One of the best, fluffiest, tastiest cornbreads Ive ever made! It was easy and quick to throw together and came out just perfect! The 1/4 c sugar was the perfect amount for us. I used whole spelt flour instead of ap and applesauce for the oil, but other than that stuck to your recipe and loved it. THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing a true keeper with us, Enjolinfam!
Made and reviewed for Aussie Swap February 2011.
Turned out great Mollie. I added ground flax seed, wheat germ and soy flakes to increase nutrition. Only used two table spoons of brown sugar, and used "Brags" instead of salt. (You'd be so proud of me) :0) Mom