Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an absolute favorite in our home. I serve this with brussel sprouts and baked sweet potatoes. Of course, cranberry sauce is always welcome.
- 2 (8 1/2 ounce) boxes Jiffy cornbread mix
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 4 eggs
- 1% low-fat milk
- 3 stalks diced celery
- 1 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- poultry seasoning
- ground sage
- cranberry sauce (optional)
- black pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Mix Jiffy, cornmeal, 2 of the eggs and enough milk to bring the mixture to a slightly thick consistency.
- Pour into a 13 x 9 baking pan and place in oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool so that the mixture can be crumbled by hand.
- Crumble by hand to as fine a consistency as possible.
- Then add the 2 remaining eggs, celery, onions and dried parsley.
- Stir mixture thoroughly.
- Add poultry seasoning, sage, salt and pepper.
- All are to taste and should be added a little at a time.
- Taste mix to test the level of seasoning.
- Once satisfied with the amount of spice, begin to incorporate chicken broth until consistency is slightly wet.
- This is important because a fair amount of broth will be absorbed during the baking process.
- Pour the mixture back into the baking dish and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes to brown the surface.
- Bake longer should the dressing remain too damp for your liking.
- If desired, serve with cranberry sauce.
very good recipe. I made with a pan of homemade cornbread and it turned out great. and i made homemade cranberry sauce which is super easy.