Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is the basis for our turkey stuffing. I usually make a double batch so we have enough for our stuffing recipe and enough to eat some cornbread.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup shortening, melted
- Combine dry ingredients together in bowl.
- Add egg, milk, and shortening. Stir lightly.
- Pour into well-greased 9" square pan.
- Bake @ 425°F for 20-25 minutes.
This was an outstanding cornbread, thoroughly enjoyed
What a great cornbread recipe! I used white corn meal this time. It rose beautifully and had a nice crumb. Not too dry at all. Will make this again. Made for our U.S. Southern meal for Culinary Quest.
So easy to make, yet really delicious. The cornbread was flavorful yet not too dry (which seems to be the case with many cornbread recipes that I've tried). I'm glad this one worked out so well for us. Thanks for sharing your recipe, Lavender Lynn. Made for 2014 Culinary Quest (U.S. Southern Cooking).