Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe comes from the "Gone With The Wind Cook Book - Famous Southern Cooking Recipes". There is a note in the foreward which I love: "Gone With The Wind told of a style of living. as well as a romantic drama, A way of living, playing, and eating that thrilled us all."
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 cups corn kernels, canned and drained
- oil (for deep frying)
- Mix and sift flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Beat egg, melted shortening and milk together.
- Add corn, and combine with dry ingredients, mixing well.
- Drop by spoonfuls into hot deep oil, and fry 3-5 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Drain on absorbant paper.
- Serve piping hot as vegetable, or serve as a luncheon dish, with maple syrup and crisp bacon.
DELICIOUS! We loved these. They were very easy to make. For a more savory flavor, I would add pepper or jalepenos. As they are, they are fairly sweet. Thanks for sharing this great recipe!
My Husband and I enjoyed this recipe very much !!! It was very corny and fried up quickly. Very easy delicious recipe. Thank you.