Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Make your own at home. Great kid fare for the summer.
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 20 hot dogs or 20 hot dogs
- 20 wooden skewers
- oil, to fry
Serve with a variety of dips
- spicy mustard
- thousand island dressing
- ketchup, with vinegar
- hot sauce
- Batter: Combine batter's dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Cut in shortening.
- Add egg and milk.
- Whisk until there are no lumps.
- Pour battter into a tall glass.
- Oil: Heat at least 2 inches of oil to 375 degrees F.
- Corndogs: Pat dry hotdogs until completely dry.
- Push skewer into one end of hotdog until it is firmly in place.
- Dip hotdog into batter, turning so it coats evenly.
- Fry until golden brown about 2 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels.
I have very picky kids so I added a little sugar instead of the mustard.. They loved them.
Good batter. Makes good mini corndogs too. Thanks.