Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I always have trouble finding kosher, parve or vegetarian recipes for chowder because they always call for bacon or ham or seafood. I've made this recipe as corn chowder in this form, and also as fish chowder with different types of fish instead of the corn. The rest of the recipe pretty much stays the same. More vegetables can be added at your discretion, depending on what you like! :-)
- 1 cup onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 leek, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup sweet potato, diced
- 1 cup corn, cooked
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 3 cups water
- 8 ounces beer
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Chop the onion, garlic and leeks.
- Saute in the olive oil for about 5 minutes.If you want, you can use butter instead of olive oil and make it dairy.
- Add the sweet potato and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the water and cook for 10 minutes or until potatoes are softened.
- Add the corn and the cream style corn.
- Add all the seasonings and the beer.
- When the beer stops foaming, add the soy milk. If you want to make it dairy, use regular milk instead.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Season to taste as it cooks. You can add cheddar cheese at the end too for a richer taste.