Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A Rachael Ray Magazine recipe which offers a great vegetarian alternative to chicken tortilla soup. Use dairy-free sour cream to make this dish vegan!
- 3 poblano chiles
- 6 corn tortillas, halved then cut crosswise into 1/2-inch thick strips
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (10 ounce) boxes frozen corn kernels
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 lime, halved
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- Preheat the broiler. Broil the poblanos until blackened, 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, cover and let cool. Peel, seed and chop the poblanos.
- Preheat the oven to 400. On a baking sheet, toss the tortilla strips with 1 tablespoon oil and the cumin. Bake until golden, about 10 minutes. Season with salt.
- Meanwhile, in a large, deep skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add the corn and cook until charred at the edges, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the red onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the broth, tomatoes and poblanos.
- Divide the tortilla strips among 4 soup bowls. Add the avocado and a squeeze of lime juice. Ladle the soup over the avocado. Top with cilantro; serve with sour cream.