Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Makes two 1 1/2 quart souffle-like casseroles. Not really true souffles, but made in souffle dishes. Adapted from Gourmet. The person who submitted the original version to the magazine said it had been a favorite holiday dish made by his Aunt. I clipped this recipe almost 15 years ago, meaning to try it for the holidays. I think it sounds very unique with all of the extracts. Hopefully I will remember to try it this year, now that I have it stored on Zaar. Not for dieters!
- 1814.36 g sweet potatoes, unpeeled,cut into pieces
- water, as needed
- 118.29 ml unsalted butter, cut into pieces,at room temperature
- 236.59 ml granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 44.37 ml self-rising flour
- 236.59 ml milk
- 1.23 ml salt
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 4.92 ml coconut extract
- 4.92 ml almond extract
- 118.29 ml chopped pecans
- 29.58 ml dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1.23 ml cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Have ready two 1 1/2 quart round deep casseroles/souffle dishes.
- Cover potatoes with enough cold water to over them by 1" in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil and boil potatoes for 30-45 minutes or until tender, adjusting heat as needed.
- Drain, peel, and then place into a mixing bowl and using a mixed, beat them just until they are smooth (without overbeating or they will get gluey).
- Beat in the butter, sugar, eggs 1 at a time, flour, salt, and extracts until well combined.
- Put half of the mixture into each of the two souffle dishes.
- Mix together nuts,the brown sugar,and the cinnamon and sprinkle on top of each evenly.
- Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour.
My sister made this the year it was published in Gourmet and it immediately became our Thanksgiving tradition! Our family gives many thanks to Aunt Cordele and her nephew!!
Nov. 30, 2008 WOW reviews at Thanksgiving dinner. For medical reasons, I left the pecans out of the topping, but did add some miniature marshmallows for a nice brown toppinng. This really went over well and everyone asked for the recipe.
This was a very good souffle but next time I will not use the coconut and almond extracts. It made it have a very strong taste that took away from the sweet potato taste. But other than that, the texture was great and it was a big hit.