Recipe by JoJoStar
I found this recipe in Martha Stewart's Living Magazine. Wanted to share this delicious recipe.
- 4 chicken thighs
- 4 chicken legs
- 2 cups full-bodied red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon
- 8 ounces thick slab bacon, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, if needed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 10 white pearl onions, peeled
- 1⁄2 lb small cremini mushroom
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons cognac
- 1 chicken liver, coarsely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 fresh thyme sprigs
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken in a large bowl, and add wine. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325°F remove chicken from wine, and pat dry; reserve wine. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium-low heat until crisp, about 20 minutes. Transfer bacon to a plate, leaving drippings in a pot. (You should have 3 tablespoons; you may need to add oil).
- Raise heat to medium-high. Working in batches, cook chicken, flipping once, until golden, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to plate. Add onion to pot, and cook 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, and cook 2 minutes. Add pearl onions and mushrooms, and cook until brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in flour and tomato paste, and cook 2 minutes. Add Cognac, and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Return bacon and chicken to pot. Pour in reserved wine, and add chicken liver and herbs. Bring to a simmer. Cover, and place in oven until chicken has cooked through and vegetables are tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Discard herbs, and skim fat from surface.