Prep 2 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Don't it pack the pounds on just imagining 20 hot Cinnabon rolls, all at your mercy? My, my.
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 2 (1/2 ounce) packages dry yeast
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) packageinstant vegetarian vanilla pudding
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups flour
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- First, make Cream Cheese Frosting: mix all frosting ingredients together until smooth; set aside.
- Next, make rolls.
- In a bowl combine water, yeast and sugar.
- Stir until dissolved; set aside.
- In large bowl, take pudding mix and prepare according to package directions.
- Add margarine, eggs and salt; mix well, then add yeast mixture; blend.
- Gradually add flour; knead until smooth.
- Place in a greased bowl.
- Cover and let rise until doubled.
- Punch down dough and let rise again.
- Next, roll out on floured board to 34 x 21-inch size.
- Take 1 cup soft butter and spread over surface.
- In bowl, mix 2 cups brown sugar and 4 tsp cinnamon; sprinkle over top.
- Roll up very tightly.
- With knife, put a notch every 2 inches; cut with thread or knife.
- Place on lightly greased cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
- Take hand and lightly press down on each roll.
- Cover and let rise until double again.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove when they start to turn golden.
- DON'T OVERBAKE.
- Frost warm rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting.
- Makes about 20 very large rolls.
Our church had a cinnamon roll bake-off tonight and I made these... Problem was, they didn't make it to the bake off. It took more like 4 hours to make them (even using a warm oven to speed the rising time) and they weren't done in time. Alas! We had to eat them all ourselves. No one in my family was too disappointed as they were the best cinnamon rolls ever! Thanks Lennie! To dress them up to the max, we sprinkled the tops with sliced almonds.
Very nice touch with the cream cheese frosting; that was something new for me. I never liked cinnamon rolls much; only my hubby does. But this was REALLY GOOD! I also liked the fact that the dough was soft but still was a tender texture
these cinnamon rolls are wonderful!! they are so soft and stay soft - and so BIG! i'm not used to the cream cheese icing, and though it was really, really good - it was a little too sweet - so i would probably stick to the normal cinnamon roll icing! i will definitely make again! thank you, thank you!!