Fresh Coconut Cake With Icing
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Mother had entered this in Burnt Offerings (published 1982). It reminded me of her making this once when I was very young.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 21mins
- 1 cup butter (she noted REAL)
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 2⁄3 cups cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 4 egg whites
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons water, cold
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- coconut, freshly grated
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cream butter and sugar. Beat egg yolks in one at a time. Add vanilla.
- Sift cake flour and re-sift with baking powder and alt.
- Combine milks.
- Add sifted ingredients to butter mixture in 3 parts, alternately with milks.
- Beat egg whites stiff. Fold mix in by hand.
- Pour into three greased 9 inch cake pans.
- Bake 30 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients, except vanilla and coconut in top of a double boiler. Blend well. Then, place over rapidly boiling water and beat constantly with rotary beater for 6 minutes.
- Reove from fire and add vanilla.
- Spread sparingly between layers and sprinkle with fresh coconut.
- Secure layers with toothpicks.
- Ice whole cake and garnish with coconut.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION