Recipe by CoolMonday
This is a great recipe for variety (English, French, Greek, German, Flemish, Italian, Swedish, Norwegian, Turkish, Mexican). I have split them up two to a recipe but if you want them all, there are 5 separate recipes. They are made from one basic cookie dough. I think some of them may be posted individually, but at Christmas I make the entire variety. Each batch of basic dough makes a batch of two of the cookies with the ingredients I have listed.
Top Review by * Pamela *
I used this recipe for my Wednesday night kid's club cooking class and it was perfect! I made up a big batch of the basic dough and then divided it into 4 of the variations. This recipe fit well into my 'around the year theme'
BASIC COOKIE DOUGH
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
SWEDISH RUBY DROPS
- 1⁄2 cup favorite jelly
- 1⁄4 cup colored crystal sugar (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 12 candied red cherries
- 12 green glazed cherries or 12 citron
Directions See How It's Made
- BASIC COOKIE DOUGH:.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Add flour slowly, and mix well.
- Divide in two.
- SWEDISH RUBY DROPS.
- Use 1/2 cookie dough.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Shape cookie dough by rounded teaspoon into balls.
- Balls can be rolled in colored sugar or dip in slightly beaten egg white and roll in finely chopped nuts.
- Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheet.
- Press thumb deeply into center of each.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until set but not brown.
- Fill thumbprint with jelly.
- NORWEGIAN WREATHS.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Mix into 1/2 basic dough- orange peel.
- Shape dough by rounded teaspoonfulls into pencil-like strips about 5 inches long.
- Form strip into a circle, overlapping 1/2 inch at each end.
- Brush tops with slightly beaten egg white.
- Sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Press bits of red cherries on center of overlap for berries.
- Add leaves chopped from green cherries.
- Bake on ungreased baking sheet 8-10 minutes until set but not brown.
- Immediately remove from baking sheet.