Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a very good eggnog for the holidays.
- 1 quart milk
- 6 eggs
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- ground nutmeg
- Heat milk in a large saucepan, don't boil.
- Beat eggs and salt in a large bowl; gradually add sugar, mixing well.
- Gradually stir about 1/4 of hot milk into egg mixture; add to remaining hot milk, stirring constantly.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until misture thickens and reaches 160 degrees.
- Stir in 1/4 tsp nutmeg and vanilla.
- Set saucepan in larger pan of ice for 10 minutes to rapidly cool mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate up to 48 hours.
- When ready to serve, fold in whipping cream and sprinkle with nutmeg.
I made this for my family and it was so delicious! I let the custard go a little too long, so really should have strained it, but it had such amazing flavor, I didn't worry about it. I topped ours with sweetened whipped cream. This is a keeper! Make for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup ~ Jan-June 2013.
This is great! It's the same way I usually make mine except for whipping the cream and folding it in. I like that touch. And I like that this recipe mentions the ice bath after you cook it. That's important if you're worried about microorganisms.