Joy's Cooked Eggnog
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- Combine first two ingredients and set aside.
- Whisk together egg yolks, sugar, and nutmeg until blended.
- Whisk the extra milk and heavy cream into the egg yolk mixture.
- Transfer egg yolk mixture to a heavy saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens slightly more than heavy cream (about 175 degrees F).
- Be careful or it will curdle if you overheat it.
- Remove from heat and stir in the reserved milk and cream.
- Strain into a storage container and chill thoroughly, uncovered.
- Stir in the booze (or vanilla for alcohol free egg nog).
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Serve sprinkled with freshly grated or ground nutmeg.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
When I was 19, I remember one day looking at a box of good ol' macaroni and cheese and I had a nerve wracking time making it, holding the box like it was a talisman, consulting it every 30 seconds. That was the same day I'd vowed I would learn to cook. Honestly, I didn't expect I'd enjoy it so much, and I try to learn as many different disciplines as I can on my own. While you will almost never see a bread or cake recipe from me (I can't seem to do them right), I hope my meager offerings please the palate...and more importantly, the stomach! Bueno Apetito!